Operations Desert Storm and Desert Shield were the first major foreign crises for the United States after the end of the Cold War. The successful completion of the war was one of the swiftest in history, however, the war took the lives of many service people.
The goal of the National Desert Storm AND DESERT SHIELD Memorial is to create an educational, meaningful and deeply moving sequential experience for visitors that:
1) Educates them about the historical events of Desert Storm and Desert Shield;
2) Identifies each of the coalition countries and illustrates the historical significance of the 34-nation coalition that united to liberate Kuwait;
3) Memorializes all the names of Americans who sacrificed their lives in the war;
4) Reflects the unique environmental and battle conditions experienced by servicemen and women in this war;
5) Leaves visitors with an enduring memory of the historical significance and accomplishments of Desert Storm and Desert Shield.